It can be difficult to keep up with the constantly changing stats and facts about blogging. That’s why we created this ultimate list of blogging statistics and facts.
If you’re running your own blog, it’s important to be in the loop with the latest trends so that you’re not missing out on any opportunities to increase your traffic or revenue.
Let’s dive right in!
- 1 Ultimate List of Blogging Statistics and Facts
- 1.1 General Blogging Statistics
- 1.2 Blogging SEO Stats
- 1.3 Blogging Traffic Stats
- 1.4 Guest Blogging Statistics
- 1.5 Travel Blogging Statistics
- 1.6 Blogging Growth Stats
- 1.7 Social Media Blogging Statistics
- 1.8 Blogging With Visuals and Videos Stats
- 1.9 Blogging Statistics for Marketers
- 1.10 How to Ensure Your Blog Stays Relevant
Ultimate List of Blogging Statistics and Facts
We hope these blogging stats give you some insight and help you make healthy decisions for your blog’s future.
General Blogging Statistics
- Each month, approximately 409 million people view more than 20 billion pages.
- There are about 70 million posts being published each month by WordPress users.
- 77 million new blog comments are generated by readers each month.
- 71% of WordPress sites are written in English.
- The average blog post takes 3.5 hours to write.
- Bloggers who write articles of 2,000+ words are far more likely to have strong results.
- 46% of bloggers edit their own work, while 54% have editors or have at least shown their work to someone else to review.
- 43% of people admit to skimming blog posts.
- 36% of readers prefer list-based headlines.
- Websites that also have a blog are shown to have 434% more indexed pages.
- Companies who blog get 97% more links to their websites.
- Blogs have been rated as the 5th most trustworthy source for gathering online information.
- 66% of bloggers today are publishing a few times per month, rather than a few times per week back in 2014.
- 77% of internet users read blogs.
- Internet users in the US spend 3X more time on blogs than they do on email.
- The “how-to” headline—a close cousin to the listicle—is the third most popular headline preference at around 17%.
Blogging SEO Stats
- Only 38% of bloggers are updating older articles.
- 34% of bloggers say that updating content produces strong results.
- Around 5% of bloggers don’t have access to analytics.
- Titles with 6-13 words attract the highest and most consistent amount of traffic.
- SEO leads have a 14.6% close rate, while outbound leads (such as direct mail or print advertising) have a 1.7% close rate.
- 72% of online marketers describe content creation as their most effective SEO tactic.
Want more SEO statistics? We got you covered.
Blogging Traffic Stats
- Businesses that blog experience twice as much email traffic as businesses who don’t.
- Having a hyphen or colon in the headline increased click-through rates by 9%.
- Making your headline 6-8 words can increase your CTR by 21%.
- Over 50% of bloggers report that it has gotten harder to get traffic from Facebook over the past two years, and nearly one-fifth say it has gotten harder to get traffic from Google.
- Over the past year, there’s been a 93% increase in blogs using promotional techniques to drive traffic to their post including paid ads.
Guest Blogging Statistics
- 60% of blogs write 1-5 guest posts per month.
- 3% of blogs write over 100 guest posts per month.
- Only 6% of bloggers publish the majority of their original content as guest posts.
- 62.96% of readers perceive blogs with multiple authors to be more credible.
- 79% of editors say guest content is too promotional.
- Guest content is in higher demand in the summer months of June, July, and August.
Travel Blogging Statistics
- 59% of travel bloggers run more than one travel blog.
- Over 80% of travel planning is done through the internet and is growing.
- 33% of US travelers use travel blogs for travel advice.
- The majority of travel blogs are between 1-4 years old.
- Most travel blogs use publication and sponsored posts as one of the main income sources.
- The average travel blogger will charge an average of $200 per sponsored post.
- 94% of travel blogs sell advertising.
- Most travel blog’s traffic mainly stems from non-brand search with direct traffic a distant second.
Blogging Growth Stats
- The number of bloggers in the USA is expected to grow to 31.7 million in 2020.
- There are more than 500 million blogs that exist in 2019.
- Tumblr has more than 440 million blogs.
- WordPress has about 60 million blogs.
- Blogging has grown by 12% since 2015.
- At this moment, there are roughly 1.9 billion web pages. Judging by the growth rate, we will be hitting 2 billion in less than a year.
- The average blog post is 1151 words, that’s a 42% increase in the last 5 years.
Social Media Blogging Statistics
- 66% of marketers reported using blogs in their social media content in 2017.
- 59% of people will share an article without reading it first, or ever.
- LinkedIn is the most effective social media platform for delivering content and securing audience engagement.
- 95.9% of bloggers promote their blog posts via social media.
- Tumblr had 456.1 million blog accounts as of January 2019.
- 69% of bloggers say they use social share buttons.
Blogging With Visuals and Videos Stats
- Articles with images get 94% more views as opposed to those with no visuals.
- 71% of bloggers report using visuals as part of their marketing strategy.
- Using photos of real people instead of stock photos can result in a 35% conversion increase.
- 43% of consumers increasingly want video content from marketers.
- 19% of bloggers are now including video in their typical posts.
- 45% of bloggers who add audio to their posts such as podcast see better results.
- Video content is 50 times more likely to drive organic search traffic than plain text.
- 32% of marketers say visual images are the most important form of content for their businesses.
Blogging Statistics for Marketers
- Marketers who prioritize blogging are 13x more likely to have a positive ROI on their efforts.
- 61% of the most effective B2B content marketers meet with their content team daily or weekly.
- 64% of B2B marketers outsource blog copywriting.
- Spending on marketing automation tools is expected to reach $25.1 billion annually by 2023.
- 60% of marketers have a documented personalization strategy.
- 57% of marketers say they’ve gained customers specifically through blogging.
- 53% of marketers say blogging is their top content marketing priority.
- B2B marketers who have blogs get 67% more leads than those who don’t.
- Around 60% of marketer will reuse blog content 2-3 times.
- 60% of B2B marketers struggle with creating engaging content.
How to Ensure Your Blog Stays Relevant
The blogging industry has become extremely saturated. Ever since the first bloggers shared their success stories publicly, more and more people are getting into the industry. As a result, competition has gotten higher, and surviving as a blog these days has become increasingly difficult. If you’re not putting in the effort, you’re more than likely going to fail.
But there’s one very important thing you can do that most thriving blogs are doing today. That’s to create “evergreen content”, which is essentially content that doesn’t have an expiry date. People can look back at it in years from now and still find it useful.
It’s also common for bloggers to revisit old content and update the information to provide a fresh take on the subject. Bloggers have stated that content that gets touched up like this is an excellent way to boost SEO.